Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mama...and other closing thoughts in May

I originally posted this "note" to facebook last year on Mom's birthday, but I found this year that it really touched my heart again...to read it and to remember my heritage both on this earth and in heaven!
May 30, 1953...my mom's birthday. Fred and Nita McLamb adopted Deborah Jane McLamb into their family while Mom was still an infant. Since my grandfather's death, I have often contemplated how his adoption of my mom (and her sister and brother) was a wonderful earthly example of our adoption into God's family. He truly accepted my mom into his family...she bore his name...she was HIS child. He not only met her needs and cared for her as she was growing up, but throughout his life he worked to provide and care for her (and the rest of his family) after he would no longer be able. He gave a family...an inheritance...a godly heritage to my mom (just like our Heavenly Father does for us)...and in turn she was able (by God's grace) to give my brother and me...and of course our children...and our children's children...a loving family...a godly heritage...and an inheritance (in every sense of the word). How humbling to think of what life might have been had my grandparents not CHOSEN my mom to be a part of their family.Brad Fleming made Deborah McLamb a FLEMING on June 15, 1974. That started what would eventually become the Fleming Four (once Joshua and I were added). As I raise my own children, I am so thankful for the parents God blessed me with. I appreciate their example of following God's will and of dedication to others. My mom became one of my best friends, so we talked about everything. I remember many a late night laying on her bed after some "event" or experience and chatting. Even after I was married and a mom myself, I'd often call Mom up with a "quick" question... or just our daily chat. She loved others...especially her family...it was clearly evident to all. As she became less able to DO the things she wanted to do, she took on the ministry of note writing and card sending. I can't tell you how many people expressed to our family at her funeral how much one of her notes meant to them. While she was still in the hospital, we found notes she had ready to be sent out! Some of our dear friends were recipients of those "last" notes!Just last week my sister in law (in such a sweet way) gave me one of the best compliments and encouragements I've ever received! She told me that much of who I am today reminds her of my mom!!! WOW! What a blessing! Mom passed on to Joshua and I (Sam and Crystal too!) a huge responsibility...that of continuing our godly heritage for our children...and their children! I feel strongly the important responsibility of showing my children the God that their Nana served through MY life.Happy Birthday, Mom! I love you and miss you so much!
I've been thinking a lot about the McLamb family this week as my cousin, Malarie went home to be with the Lord on Tuesday morning as a result of a car accident. I am confident that our God makes NO mistakes...His ways are perfect...and He has a plan... of hope and future! Then later this week Malaries' older sister gave birth to the first grandchild in their immediate family...a baby girl! The Lord gives and the Lord takes away...blessed be the name of the Lord! The funeral was on Saturday...I so wanted to be there, but I know that the name of the Lord was glorified, and it is my prayer that MANY might come to know the Lord because of Malarie's death.
As I mentioned in my post earlier this month. May has been a difficult month for me. Some of you have mentioned that my smile wasn't as cheery or my eyes looked tired...I have been weary in many senses of that word. The Lord is faithful! What a blessing to know the truth of that. May is now behind me. Mother's Day...Mom's birthday...loss of a family member...the hard lesson in the loss of a mother and her children in our church...I am so thankful that the Lord has not given up on me yet. I'm glad He continues to use His refining fire in my life...although painful...it is the ONLY way.
I was able to spend the last hours of May with the Fleming crew in Gridley, Illinois! Aaahh...now that is a place that is still home...it hasn't changed...even though Grandma lives in a different house...so much is still familiar...wonderful! It was nice to go home! To family. Dear family. Amazing how family always welcomes you...how family always loves you...how family always makes it feel like home. I was comforted just being with the whole crew...feeling loved...prayed for...belonging! Another godly heritage to be thankful for!
The kids and I are enjoying June 1st---the beginning of our summer. Thank you all for your love and prayers...especially this past month. God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment